Monday 13 February 2012

Love is a country with it's own climate


i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has meant 
an whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
e.e.cummings






The heart is simply a muscle, a pump, and yet it is the home of love and courage and religion, and soul, and almost any other human feeling you may think of. It has it's own strength and weaknesses, it is a strange looking four chambered organ at the centre of all our lives. It has a dual function in life; to give and sustain life by pumping blood around the body and let you love somebody. It overflows.

I have always been fascinated by the heart, both physiologically and spiritually speaking, who hasn't at some time in their life? The heart is the heart of the matter, the centre of the centre, the genesis of so much in our humanity. Every culture has it's own ideas and philosophy about the heart. Every art form has used it as have different faiths. It is always with us in everyday language, in poetry, prose, song lyrics, medicine, literature, kitsch, advertising, drama, images ad everyday language. I guess it is ultimately the obvious thing - the organ of love. It is a country with it's very own indescribable climate. Immeasurable, constantly pumping with involuntary muscles.

All you really need is your heart and 


the rest will follow.
xox

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Penelope... you brought a tear to my eye :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and true post. I have often wondered why the heart is the symbol of love and where this thinking has orginated from.

    Love the poem too really beautiful and the hoop art is a perfect homage to it.

    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ee cummings poetry and that one is particular is beautiful and so profound.

    Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All so very true :D

    And as I mentioned before I know and love that poem, what a perfect verse to stitch for the one you love !

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post xx

    Gorgeous stitching too... well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hej Penelope
    Soo true. I <3 your sewing :-)
    LOVE PEACE enJOY
    Julie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful post, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always loved that poem ever since I first read it in a Lit class when I was 16. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    p.s. your stichin is bitchin (can I say that? oh well, I just have. Hope you don't mind...)

    x

    ReplyDelete